Wednesday 11 May 2011

Playing Cards Research


I've decided to use the 56 tarot deck (Minor Arcana) instead of the 52 poker set for my Potter playing cards. This is because of the use of tarot cards in the actual series by professor Trelawny. (That, and I wasn't quite prepared to make an entire 78 card tarot deck complete with separate illustrations.) But the 56 card deck will suit it's purpose.

The Minor Arcana deck is divided into four suits, and they came from older Latin playing card suits with names such as Wands or Batons, Cups, Swords, and Coins (also called Pentacles or Disks), although there are lots of different names and suit symbols used. The deck is related to the deck of 52 playing cards used in most modern card games.

I've been using tarot cards for years for fun. It's cold reading (And sometimes warm reading, depends on what the card 'reads') They're completely for recreational use and I wouldn't suggest trying to live by them the way occultists use them for divination.

(Will have pictures of my own deck here when I dig them out of the packing box)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! How are you? I live in Brazil and I would like to know where can I buy a set of 56 tarot playing cards like yours. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete