Monday 17 January 2011

Case Study: Jamie Smart

I first came across Jamie Smart about five years ago whilst browsing the York branch of Traveling Man. I knew that SLG comics made “darker/edgier” comics but when I picked up Bear I was nothing but delighted.

Bear was only ten issues long but there was so much included that you could read the trade back again and again and still find something new. Jamie himself calls Bear “an alternative comic about swearing and cuddles” and I never thought I’d get so much enjoyment out of series about a psychotic cat trying to kill a stuffed toy.

Recently, Jamie helped kick start the re-launch of ‘The Dandy’ much to delight of myself and many others but to the annoyance of the Daily Star who clearly didn’t realise Jamie had been drawing Desperate Dan for the past 4 years. The re-design was clearly needed, taking the comic back to what it was; a comic book and not a magazine.



I’ve been called the C-word, told I’m a disgrace, told I should give up, told people who read my work are morons, etc etc. Really unnecessary levels of hate for someone who’s just drawing silly pictures


The Dandy (and the Beano) was a part of my childhood and to see it go back to how it was when I was younger is a breath of fresh air. It’s one of the main reasons I adore comic books and sequential art and I hope it will inspire more kids to get into comics too.

(And one day I'll attempt to collaborate with him...one day.)

Jamie Smart: Fumboo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment