Wednesday 6 April 2011

Mary Grandpré~

(Deathly Hallows)

American illustrator and writer, Grandpré is best known for her cover and chapter illustrations for the American editions of the Harry Potter books, published by Scholastic.

(Philosophers Stone)

Seeing as how I'm doing a brief on Harry Potter, I thought I should take a look at the artwork that shaped an entire series. (or at least the US version...)

When she received each new book, Grandpré read the story through once, highlighting descriptions that she felt would do well as an illustration. She then created various sketches as ideas for the cover and chapter art, before sending her favorites to the editors to decide which should appear in the final publication.

(Order of the Phoenix. TONKS~)
(Order of the Phoenix) - I don't know what the new (UK) editions of Harry Potter are like on the inside but I hope they have chapter illustrations that speak a 1000 words like this one.


No comments:

Post a Comment